Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Place for Information

I am the parent of a student at Wascher Elementary and over the past year I have realized that I am not involved in the school as much as I could or should be. I also noticed that as I did attend PTA meetings or events aimed at parent involvement I would always see the same handful parents. At a school with, most likely, more than 400 parents I found this odd.

As I thought about the reasons why I was not getting involved I kept coming back to one reason, information. The weekly newsletter is good but in a digital age it becomes outdated quickly. I spend the majority of the day behind the computer for my job and if the information I need does not come in my e-mail, through a news feed or automagically appear on my calendar I will most likely not keep tabs on it. Also, when the place I can look online for information is not up to date I find myself not checking it very often.

With that said the faculty at the school does a Great Job at what they need to do, educating our children, but I feel they need a little help in getting the news about what they are doing out to the digital world. That is what I hope that this blog will be able to do. Get the information out to those who need it, when they need it. Parent, grandparents, relative, friends, anyone who has an interst in the students at Wascher should be able to look in one place an get all the real-time information that they need.

If anyone has comments or suggestions on what information you want to see or if you would like to help by sending content for the blog, events for the calendar, or ideas to start a forum for discussion please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment