Thursday, January 14, 2010

Vounteering in Your Child's Classroom is Easy and Fun!

I recently had the opportunity to volunteer in my daughter's first grade classroom for the first time. If you are anything like me, I've been saying that I was going to take the time to volunteer for the last year, I just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm so glad that I finally did! What an experience!  It was fascinating to see her interact with the other students, with her teacher, and to tackle the day's activities. The whole process was easy, I filled out a background check form prior to that day, signed in using the computer in the office, grabbed a volunteer tag and I was on my way. I did some simple tasks such as copying and filing, decorated the bulletin board, and then was able to help in the classroom during the writing assignment and reading time. I must admit I was quite interested to see how my daughter fit into her class, reading and writing level wise. After helping the other kids, I now know what we need to work on at home to make her a stronger learner.

I ended up spending over 5 hours at Wascher and from that time and experience, I've gained more respect and admiration for the staff there. I know that teaching isn't my thing and I feel so thankful for the wonderful teachers that make it their passion and mission to teach our youth. The classrooms are well run atmospheres for learning.

I would strongly encourage you to consider taking some time to volunteer in your child's classroom. The teacher will benefit from the extra help, your child will love having you around and showing you off, and you will be able to get a good perspective of what your child does every day. Everyone benefits.

I've already let the school know when I'll be there next to help out, I'm excited to see what other opportunities for service arise while I'm there. Maybe I'll see you there:)

No comments:

Post a Comment